Tuesday 4 January 2011

Animated Reference - LINE QUALITY!!

Here's a link I found like last week! I posted a link from these guys on my own blog already, whilst trying to explain the ACTUAL processes of Chinese painting. On their profile, they stated they were attempting to be the FIRST to animate Chinese calligraphy!! Which is very interesting, since i cant find any one else with the same aim. Meaning their my virtual rivals? If we beat them to it during this year, WE'LL be the first perhaps? I think it would be more reasonable to search up the competition, I'm sure there MUST be some students in China.. Taiwan..hongkong.. or even Japan and Korea whose already tried it. These guys have PERFECT line quality since they're experienced in painting with a traditional brush, I admire the fact they they used these skills and digitalised it. They ARE in fact one step ahead of us.



If you check out the video, You'll see, The flower was made in a 3D software, apparently 3Dmax? so they used 3D elements with what seems to be a bit of aftereffects. Having studied the shapes and colours, I've noticed, They very cleverly used the black inked outlines. The flowers DO NOT have an outline. This was an issue me and Iredia was trying to figure out. We DON'T want black inked outlines for everything, but avoiding it, wouldn't make it a Chinese painting. This is something we MUST consider, our decisions could either boost the project visual appearance or TRASH it. So a moderated amount would be needed.

I also found this::


I'm not liking the black outlines at all though, it makes the image very comic. The person obviously never had life drawing classes. Its something I've realised through the years at Ravensbourne. Its becoming very easy to spot out. Although it DOES say this was done in 3D, Im not very sure how. The line quality in the characters were terrible, in Chinese painting, you HAVE to pay attention to line quality, unless the person purposely took on the comic book; chairman mao poster kind of look. This is something to avoid! we wait a more authentic structure, not using other people paintings,but using originals. I find it kind of disrespectful using other artists final master pieces to produce this type of multimedia, since your taking credit for someone else's patients and perception of art.

This LOOKED 2D, it seems the person used aftereffects to cut out the elements, giving them points used for animating. I cant remember the correct term for it, but i remember sitting in on a post production class.They where "pinning points". (I was attempting to render one of my final year projects) I basically sat in someone elses lectures, and the tutor seemed happy us animation students were there to comment on parts. He seemed like a very technical tutor, and was always saying, "this must be so easy for you guys!" But the thing is, us animation students never had an official lesson in after effects, everything was self taught. So since after effects HAS the abilities to bring flat planes to life, we should keep account of this. It could make certain shots much easier to animate if we ever get stuck.



I LOVED this one, But again, it was done in 3D, it makes me wonder, Maybe having a 3D blockout as Iredia mentioned, WOULD help as along our journey to completing this. Having 3D elements really DOES make you go WOW, wait thats not right! I feel we should study this in video in depth since it deals with water. Perhaps after our presentations on monday. we could in fact built a simulation to enhance the feeling of the water effects, or cheat using aftereffects if worse comes to worse. Having to animate everything from our heads is going to be a pain, we know, and it takes great craftsmanship, So I have alot to practice and experiments to do! First things first, I need to get a copy of TVPAINT!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a team, we had a meeting for 2hours last night? I'm happy we get along, and had the time to generally talk about our life at Ravensbournes, how our project will go and possible changes. It gives me a greater understanding of Iredia's character, and I feel its built a stronger bond between us, which is important since its impossible to help capture someone elses ideas if you have no understanding of the person, especially if your working as a team!! We've had a boost of confidence thanks to our current tutors, so i'll like to thank you too!^^
I'm definitely looking forward to second term! And hope things go so well, our piece will hopefully be sent through award shows? Being the first animated Chinese calligraphy short, with a twist of the Greek-ness from the myth. I believe in Iredia's script. And again would like to THANK YOU DUDE!! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment