Sunday 21 November 2010

11th Nov Lesson...

We went through everyones individual roles. I soon realised the amount of detail needed to get to the same standard as ""Le Royaume". I guesstimated around 10 layers for EACH background. meaning each frame would need good knows how many actual layers in the end. Since ONE picture = at least 4 seperate layers.

(1)Base/ Shape
(2)Lighting
(3)Shadows
(4)Detail

I then discussed this issue with Matt, He then showed me the MAKING video of Le Royame. To find.. so many more layers in one background it was uncountable =_=""

We not only found problems with the amount of detail each background would have, but also the secondary animation involved! Which would include...wind effects, so, wavey grass, trees, maybe the odd bunny hopping?

Dan had set us a TASK each. To be completed by the following week. My aim was to draw a COMPLETED background using SAI. with a nice amount of layers to try imitate the effect.

My reason for using SAI.....

I've been playing around with this program all summer! Its quite nice, I do miss Photoshop's brushes though. HOWEVER, the pressure sensitivity DOES feel far more fluent. It doesnt burn your RAM as Photoshop does, OR give that foreign feeling, since your not drawing directly on the screen, it still feels kind of awkward at times. Like common things such as flipping the canvas WHILST you work. Smoother, more natural brush strokes. SAI's used widely in Japan, and well known digital artists around the world. I first found SAI on deviantart, from going through "redjuice999" 's profile. Its GREAT for blending tones, saving alot of time.

Heres his page, just so that you get the feel of what SAI can produce in the hands of a professional. =D

I havent quite mastered colouring backgrounds on SAI just yet.. since on photoshop I could cheat by using downloaded brushes/texture. However, on SAI, there is no such function!! you can custom make brushes, but not manipulate them the same as photoshop. So I have decided to use both to compliment the missing features each software has. =D I worked on character designing and colouring through the summer.. so colouring organic backgrounds in SAI has its limits for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment